Sunday, April 24, 2011

Wedding Challenge

When a dear friend of mine announced she was getting married I was thrilled for her.
While she was planning her wedding, I was lucky enough to hear about plans, and choices, and clothing... It was lots of fun to share in her joy and excitement.
This lovely, beautiful woman is not a size six.
When she went looking for lovely lingerie to wear for her wedding night, she could not find any. I thought that was crazy, and I looked around for her too. She was right! There is not a lovely, classy plus size nightie or shift to be found. I was shocked. The market is untapped!
I can sew. So I set about to help her. With the famous last words ringing in my ears "how hard can this be?"
We had a planning session. I got a sense of what she wanted (classy, ivory, delicate, ...not unusual requests for a bride. This woman is classy, tailored, and sharply dressed at all times.)
We shopped for fabric, and a pattern, took measurements, and off I went. I made a lovely night gown from the most amazing silk fabric that has even been run through my machine. Is was beautiful and creamy with a hint of mocha in it.
But as all projects, it took much longer than I had thought it would. The silk was beautiful and perfect, and oh so slippery. It skidded and slid under the needle. Aaak. I slowed down. I ironed first. I pinned and basted more than usual. And in the end I was happy with the result.
But - I also had some beautiful embroidered chiffon for a robe. And when push came to shove, I did not get that done. I got intimidated. My friend was gracious and understanding, but I felt bad.
This challenge was the perfect time to get that project OUT tackle the fabric and the seams.
seams
This robe is almost Kimono style, with deep arm holes down to the waist.
chiffon robe
The fabric is a beautiful chiffon with a boarder pattern on the bottom half.
embroided fabric
I accented it with a great wide burgundy red ribbon.
flower close up
I am really excited to give this to my friend.
And if you see it here - the cat is out of the bag!

2 comments:

kat said...

Just so lovely & it looks like that is something that requires French seaming...oh my

Susan J said...

Sooooo pretty and feminine! She'll love it!